Netflix announces full list of programmes taken down after government demands – Mirror Online
Netflix has revealed the list of films and programmes it has removed from its service following government demands.
In a report published today, the streaming giant admitted that it had been “forced to remove specific titles or episodes of titles in specific countries due to government takedown demands.”
Danish drama ‘The Bridge’ was removed in New Zealand in 2015 because the programme is considered “objectionable” there.
War film Full Metal Jacket was taken down from Netflix in Vietnam following government demands. Some versions of horror classic Night of the Living Dead is banned in Germany and so the film was removed from the service.
Martin Scorcese’s The Last Temptation of Christ was removed from Netflix in Singapore because the film is banned there.
And Singapore also demanded the firm remove three cooking programmes based on cannabis, because the drug is illegal there.
It’s the first time Netflix has released the list of censored programmes, but the firm says it will publish them every year from now on.
Here’s the full list of items removed from Netflix at the behest of foreign governments around the world:
• 2015: written demand from the New Zealand Film and Video Labeling Body to remove The Bridge from the service in New Zealand only. The film is classified as “objectionable” in the country.
• 2017: written demand from the Vietnamese Authority of Broadcasting and Electronic Information (ABEI) to remove Full Metal Jacket from the service in Vietnam only.
• 2017: written demand from the German Commission for Youth Protection (KJM) to remove Night of the Living Dead from the service in Germany only. A version of the film is banned in the country.
• 2018: written demand from the Singapore Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA) to remove Cooking on High, The Legend of 420, and Disjointed from the service in Singapore only.
• 2019: written demand from the Saudi Communication and Information Technology Commission to remove one episode—“Saudi Arabia”—from the series Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj from the service in Saudi Arabia only.
• 2019: written demand from the Singapore Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA) to remove The Last Temptation of Christ from the service in Singapore only. The film is banned in the country.
• 2020: we complied with a written demand from the Singapore Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA) to remove The Last Hangover from the service in Singapore only.
This article originally appeared here in https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/netflix-announces-full-list-programmes-21450139